Friday, August 20, 2010

Milestone Week

On a personal note, this has been a week of milestones. First, on Monday our elder children had their first bonafide dental appointments of their very own. We thank God that the children were composed during their examinations and cleanings and that their teeth were found to be healthy.

Second, on Tuesday my eldest child began attending school for the first time. It has been a matter of prayer for a while now, but God has graciously guided us into the world of formal education. My wife and I thank the Lord that our child is adjusting well to this major change in our lives. In fact, it appears to be quite a bit more difficult emotionally for the parents than for the child when starting school.

Third, on Wednesday my wonderful wife celebrated her birthday. The very fact that God has blessed me with her is much more than enough to prove beyond all doubt that He loves me. I wish I could have given her a worthy gift because she is more precious than a mountain of rubies. But, alas, my modest budget permitted only a card and dinner, which she seemed to enjoy nonetheless.

Fourth, yesterday my wife and I attended our first charity event. It consisted of a couple of short plays about domestic violence, and it was benefiting some of the local women's shelters. The plays were excellent; and although not entertaining, they educated the audience about the dynamics of domestic violence in a way only the arts can do. It was kind of "a picture is worth a thousand words" sort of thing. Without being graphic, they were very thought-provoking.

Fifth, today at work I closed the very first case I received on the job. Without boring you with the details, let me just say that my career entails being a case-worker. I am assigned cases (people), I manage those cases for a period of time rendering services and such, and then I close those cases once services are concluded. Although it wasn't cause to hold a press conference, it was notably satisfying to close the file on the first person I helped in my line of work.

Such were the milestones that the Lord blessed me with this week. Although I am thankful that every week is not so filled with new adjustments, I do thank God that He shakes us up a bit now and again. It brings us afresh to our knees in prayer and opens our eyes and hearts to blessings that we would have otherwise missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment